Movie Talk: Nymph Fever 5 (2001)

Here we are, in the land of Legend and Jerome Tanner. From the man who gave us Trailer Trash Nurses we have Nymph Fever 5. I have no idea why I started with this film in the series, but either way this movie is a riot. 

Now, I have to ask the question that I always need to ask. Does Nymph Fever 5 work as a movie. I can't believe I'm saying this, but yes, it kind of does. I mean, this is 100% smut, but it is also a very funny play up of old school B-movies, and shows like The X-Files. While this is not something where you could take out the sex and still have a functional film, it is something that you could watch without hitting the fast forward button and still have a good time during the entire duration. 

The general plot is that the Nymph Virus is spreading and two FBI agents played by Gwen Summers and Nick Manning are on the case. The virus can revive the dead, and turn whoever is infected into a sex crazed nympho. Now the infected are starting to form Carnal Cults, and the virus is spreading. One wrinkle in the in the investigation is that Gwen was recently infected with the virus to save her life, and now has to fight her own urges to try and bring down the evil scientist who created the virus. 

I am so surprised that this works as well as at it does. The dialogue is cheesy on purpose, the acting is actually funny, and its actually pretty well filmed. Yes, the majority of this film is sex, and the plot essentially goes nowhere (as there are still several films after this one), but it really gives it the good college try in making something that is actually entertaining to watch when the performers have their clothes on. Gwen Summers in particular has some of the most insane dialogue, and she sells it. I actually laughed a few times at the stuff she had to say. 

This is what I like to call Camp Porn. No, it has nothing to do with summer camp. This is the time of feature that plays into general porn expectations and conventions, and sends everything up for a laugh. The tongue is planted firmly in cheek, when not planted elsewhere, and the general tone is light. Everyone is in on the joke, and everyone seems to be having a good time. Outside of the named actors, this movie does feature some adult film heavy weights, with Evan Stone, Jewel DeNile and Briana Banks showing up, so the cast is no slouch when it comes to feature material. 

Legend, the company that made the Nymph Fever series, and Jerome Tanner specifically was really good at this kind of film. His movies never had massive budgets, but he made what he had work while keeping his audience in mind. This is someone who knew he was making adult films, and strived to make the talky bits at least fun enough to watch that maybe you won't fast forward through them. While Legend never reached the mainstream notice as studios like Vivid and Wicked, they were well regarded enough to attract some serious talent in the adult film industry when it came to performers. So, while it may be a minute before I jump back into this particular series, I will say that Legend will for sure show up again in the near future. (I'm planning on covering Trailer Trash Nurses 4 soon since that particular film actually became a bit of a meme over on YouTube).

Now, would I go back and start with movie 1? Maybe. Camp adult films like these are fun, and they are good for a single watch (unless you are a particular fan of a certain scene or performer...), but outside of private enjoyment this is more something you throw on to MST3K with some like minded individuals who aren't easily offended. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Movie Talk: Agent Aika (1997)

Movie Talk: Slay Away Camp (2025)

Movie Talk: Lovers Lane (Wicked Pictures, 2005)