Movie Talk: Bad Wives 2 (2000)

The Bad Wives are ready to raise some hell.

Bad Wives 2 is Paul Thomas's follow up to his successful domestic dark comedy Bad Wives. With a new cast led by Raylene, April and Randy Spears we follow Tracy Jo and Elizabeth as they deal out their revenge on their horrible husbands, and struggle with what getting revenge will mean for them in the end. Unlike the original, this one has made it to digital intact, and damn am I glad. This is the kind of feature that you shouldn't fast forward through. It mixes storytelling and the adult scenes perfectly, meaning that the story doesn't stop just because the actors have hopped into bed. So, to answer my eternal question, yes this works as a movie. It works well enough that after I was done I excitedly recounted the plot to my poor husband with the enthusiasm of a small child who just found out about dinosaurs. 

I know most people prefer the original, and I wish I could see the complete movie to give an honest opinion on that one, but I can't really in its current state. As it is, the original Bad Wives is pretty good, but hard to follow because of the heavy cuts. Bad Wives 2 however is very fun. Thomas leans into the supernatural in this one, with Randy Spears taking over the demonic Roy. He devours the scenery so well, proving why he was such a go to for features. Raylene and April (also known as April Flowers) hold their own in their scenes with him as well. Is it Oscar worthy? No, but it does feel AVN worthy! You also have a supporting cast featuring Kylie Ireland, Ava Vincent and Herschel Savage. The cast is no slouch, and everyone does what they need to do very well. 

This one also plays around with genre pretty well. It starts out as a sleazy women in prison flick, and then dips its toe into the realm of horror. Through out, though, this one is a pure dark comedy. Is it laugh out loud funny? No, but it sure as hell is having fun. The only real downside I see with this one is that the ending sets up for a third film that never came, and damn it, I want to see what they would have done with that one. 

These are the types of features that I love. Even when the clothes come off the movie never forgets to be a movie. The adult scenes are pretty solid too. There is some fun played with Ray being able to switch what he looks like, including turning into a woman named Skate. Paul Thomas, when he was good he was gold. This is him doing what he does best. Movies like this are why I love writing this blog. 

Damn it. Now I need to hunt down the uncut original VHS. Grr...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Movie Talk: Agent Aika (1997)

Movie Talk: Slay Away Camp (2025)

Movie Talk: Lovers Lane (Wicked Pictures, 2005)