Movie Talk: Sorority Pink (1989)
"So loosen up and get naked. We got more stuff to do!"
Jim Holliday is a legend in the porn industry, and I have never ever watched one of his movies. I decided that I would change that while working on this blog. His movies never seemed my speed. The featured lots of talent, and what seemed like little to no plot. Not really what I'm looking for. When it came time to pick a movie, I picked an early one with a title that I thought sounded fun, and so I landed on Sorority Pink.
Going to be honest. This movie worked better than I thought it would. So for my age old question, does this work as a movie? The answer from me is yes, it does! It could easily be trimmed down and work as a late night movie on Cinemax. I wonder if
Now, the low budget and slap dash nature of the production show through at every turn. The film's age does as well, with a wonky sound mix and grainy video. What also shows through is that everyone making this seems to be having a really good time! There is way more dialogue in this movie than I thought there would be, and to be honest, I wasn't mad at it. This has a similar feel tone wise to the Vice Squad series of B-movies, but with hardcore sex.
The cast of this movie is pretty stacked. Off the bat I recognized Barbara Dare, Nina Hartley, and Sharon Kane. The guys are all straight porn mainstays, with Tom Byron, Joey Silvera and the late Jon Dough (who was in a non-sex role in Night Walk). The acting is... well, it's porn acting, but Nina Hartley and Sharon Kane are no slouches when it comes to dealing with dialogue. Tom Byron has a ton of dialogue, and he does a pretty okay job with it. The final scene between Sharon Kane and Tom Byron is actually really well done. I was shocked that they let the scene just go on, and letting those two just chat with each other. The two of them have really strong chemistry, and I kind of just enjoyed watching the two shoot the shit together. Even after their sex scene they get some really nice bedroom talk. If I am being completely honest, the scene between the two of them is some of the best non-sex porn writing I have seen in an adult film in a long time.
There is plenty of smut to be had as well, and what I watched of that material wise fine. There is a kind of out of the blue male solo scene that I wasn't expecting. It was short, but an odd kind of surprise. Everything is pretty straight forward, and couples safe, with a heavy lean on the girl girl scenes. There is a focus on female pleasure which I know a lot of viewers will enjoy, and a distinct lack of facials, which I know is a plus for a lot of people.
It is interesting to me that this was citied in an obscenity case back in 1992, filed against the now defunct production company Cal Vista Video. I don't think the law suit had anything to do with the films themselves, but for the fact that they were shipped to Oklahoma. Finding all the details from the case are tricky because its old, and a lot of the details are behind pay walls. Interesting fact about the case is the the jury couldn't actually decide if the movies involved were actually obscene or not. It didn't really matter in the end because Cal Vista had already shut down at that point, and had no funds to pay for the fine that they settled on out of court.
Is this movie going to make me a Jim Holliday fan? Possibly. I actually enjoyed the sense of humor in this one, and appreciated that there was more than just set up. I mean, this isn't exactly a deep film, but it really does feel like a sexy college comedy that just goes harder than what you could find at your video store back in the day. Some of the humor is dated, specifically a few homophobic jokes here or there, but to be honest, I have heard worse, and was actually expecting worse. I do know this movie is super early in his career, and was released was he was still just known as an adult film historian, and was directing on pseudonyms. I don't think he had fully established his style by this point. What is here is something that is an interesting piece of porn history.
I cannot believe I am saying it, but I actually had a fun time watching Sorority Pink, and will probably watch the sequel at least, as this one ends on a "To Be Continued..."
Comments
Post a Comment