Movie Talk: The House on Hooter Hill (2007)
This was not the movie I had intended to post about, but because of issues with a DVD getting delayed I had to adjust my plan, and decided to end the week with a little Jim Wynorski. From the man who gave us Chopping Mall we have House on Hooter Hill, a movie about boobs. Where every woman has lower back pain, and everyone makes love like Elizabeth Berkley in the pool scene in Showgirls.
The general plot is that a wealthy woman named Tiffany murdered, and her friends and family are called to her house for the reading of the will. Her will is a riddle. Solve it, and you're rich. Lose, and all her money goes to a rescue for Bisexual Cats.
Jim Wynorski has created some amazingly good B-movies in his day. He has also created some real crap. This falls right in the middle. It knows what it is, gives you as much bang for your buck as possible, and moves along. Nothing is take seriously, and a goofy sense of humor runs through everything... When the characters aren't shtooping. There is a lot pf sex in this one, but the scenes move along at a good pace, so we are never stuck in one place, or with one pairing too long. This one is very much for those who like the ladies, but Jim did give is a little man butt here and there.
I will say, there is a scene where the lawyer and his secretary go at it before showing everyone the taped will. The guy playing the lawyer looks so fricken bored the entire time. On top of that, the scene keeps cutting from the sex scene to everyone sitting and waiting for them, while the cheesy porn music can be faintly heard in the distance. I was howling at this point. Pure comedy gold. He has another scene later in the movie, and he looks about as enthusiastic there as well.
While Hex Education was around 50 minutes long when cut down, if the same was done to House on Hooter Hill the movie would be about... Ten minutes, maybe. It would also make zero sense. So, as a movie it isn't much, but it is 100% a Jim Wynorski movie. He brings in his usual cast of characters, including Glori-Ann Gilbert and Taylor Wayne, and runs them through the motions. The cast is fine. They aren't working with amazing dialogue, but these are all B-movie regulars who know what they are doing. They do all fit a very specific type, but this movie is called House on Hooter Hill. You should know what to expect.
Wynorski knows how to make a cheap movie look pretty good. He even manages to get some decent coverage during dialogue scenes. He shot these movies in a couple of days. I know Witches of Breastwick was done in three days. This was probably done in the same amount of time, but it looks just as good as most of the late night output from that time that probably had double or triple the shooting time.
Is this movie good? No. It is cheap and makes no sense. Did I enjoy it? I have to say... Yes. I laughed at most of it, but I had fun and I wasn't bored. Pacing is key to movies like this, and Wynorski knows how to make these move while still giving the audience what they want. That takes talent. This isn't his best work, but he has done far worse. I was able to also watch this for free on Fawsome, so I for sure didn't mind it.
Comments
Post a Comment